As the semester comes to an end, I would like to write about the future of teaching ESL and what that may look like. Although I plan to hopefully continue this blog when I have the time and inspiration, I imagine I will take a break over the holidays. As I progress in my learning and then into my career, perhaps I will have more information to share from personal experiences.

Photo by Samantha Borges on Unsplash

With so much moving online nowadays due to the pandemic and the easy accessibility of the internet, it would be appropriate to assume that online teaching will become even more popular than it already is. Teaching English online (as I have wrote about in a past blog, which you can find here) is already quite common, students and teachers can connect via the internet and apps/platforms such as zoom without much problem. Many companies in fact focus on just that, hiring people to teach English online to students of all ages and language levels. It is common for a teacher to be located in North America and yet have students in Asia…the time zones differ of course but it is a hurdle most people find it fairly easy to work around.

Photo by You X Ventures on Unsplash

I also believe that teaching English as a second language will remain a reliable and popular career choice because if anything, more and more people are learning English as a tool of communication. English is the common language of business in the world now, and by speaking it many people are able to get jobs and opportunities they may not have otherwise.