Photo by Chris Barbalis on Unsplash

As we pass through November, day by day, I have re-evaluated my final goals for my music journey. Originally I planned on learning and being able to play “House of the Rising Sun”, however between school and working 2-3 days a week I unfortunately overestimated by ability. I have complete faith that if I had a longer time frame and more spare time, I would be able to learn the piece, (in fact I plan on continuing to work on it in the months ahead) however given that the end of the semester is nearing within the next few weeks and a busy schedule, I decided to change my final piece.

Photo by Mourad Saadi on Unsplash

The piece that I have chosen is Christmas themed, which I thought fitting as the holiday is just around the corner! I am learning to play “Oh Christmas Tree,” a song which I have always enjoyed and one I can sing in both English and German.  Christmas in my household is usually a very big deal…every year the family hosts a Christmas party (a tradition of 35+years) where friends and family gather (we jam our rather modestly sized home with 40 to 50 people!) to celebrate and reconnect with one another. During this time we also sing carols together and it was always rather a tradition that all the children attending play and perform a song either singing or on an instrument. We were all quite lucky growing up, as most of us grew up playing some sort of musical instrument! Given the pandemic and current circumstances this year, such a party and gathering will not happen…it will be only the second time in the history of the ‘Annual Stringer Christmas Party’ that it will not go ahead. Regardless of this, I decided this Fall I would make a point of learning at least one Christmas song to play, even if it is just my immediate family which is there to enjoy it and sing along.